In general, we collect information about some of the actions that you take on the Services to evaluate use of platform. You can access some of the Service features without creating an account or providing us with personal information. However, if you set up an account with us, you’ll need to provide us with contact information, such as your email, so that we can communicate with you and provide you with information about the Services. We take steps to protect the personal information you provide us, such as by limiting access to the information to trained staff.
- Information We Collect From You and How We Collect It
- How And Why We Use the Information We Collect
- How and When We Share Information
- How We Protect Your Information
- Your Choices Regarding Your Personal Information
- Third-Party Websites and Services
- How to Contact Us
Information We Collect From You and How We Collect It
Depending on how you use the Services and its features, we collect information about you (sometimes referred to as “personal information”). The type of personal information we collect from or about you may include: name, email address, institution, and any other information you choose to provide to us. We may also collect information about the device you are using, such as the device’s IP address to prevent abuse of the Service.
We may collect this information when you:
- Contact us through the website
- Register to become a member
Information Collected from Third Parties
There are no third parties included on the platform. However, some OERs contain embedded content, such as YouTube videos, that may collect data. We do not collect this data or receive from the third parties.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
Most browsers include tools to help you manage cookies. For example, you should be able to choose to have your browser warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off (i.e., refuse to accept) all cookies. Each browser is different, however, so please consult your browser’s “Help” menu to learn the correct way to modify how your browser handles cookies. You can find more information about cookies and how to disable cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org.
Keep in mind that we need certain information in order for the Services to function properly. If you disable cookies, you may no longer be able to use or access some features of the Services.
How And Why We Use the Information We Collect
Purposes for Using Information
Digilego may use your information in the following ways:
- To provide the Services to you (for example, when you register an account, Digilego uses your information to provide you with the abilty to moderate other OERs and submit OERs for review.)
- To communicate with you, respond to your communications with us, or to provide you with technical support
- To enable to you to access certain features that require account authentication
- To monitor and prevent any problems with the Services
- To detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- To comply with our legal obligations
We may also maintain and use information in de-identified or aggregated forms that do not identify you.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
How and When We Share Information
We do not share information about you, such as your email, that is not publicly available on the Service, such as your name and institution.
How We Protect Your Information
We use appropriate administrative, technical, and physical measures designed to prevent unauthorized access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorized modification or unlawful destruction or accidental loss of personal information.
Although we exercise reasonable care in providing secure transmission of information and storage of the information provide us through the Services, no method of transmission over the Internet, and no means of electronic or physical storage, is absolutely secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
Your Choices Regarding Your Personal Information
Certain local laws establish rights for consumers who are subject to their protections. For example, the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation provides for the following rights for individuals whose data is collected in the EU:
- Right to request access to your personal data
- Right to request correction or deletion of your personal data
- Right to object to our use and processing of your personal data
- Right to request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data and
- Right to request portability of your personal data
While these rights are not absolute – e.g., we do not have to delete your data if we need the data for compliance with a legal obligation – and they are not legally required in every jurisdiction in which we collect data, Digilego wants to make it easy and straightforward for all our users to enjoy these rights, we provide you the ability to exercise certain controls regarding our collection, use, and sharing of your information. Consistent with that approach, we provide you with several choices when it comes to information about you:
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You by default opt out of receiving messages from Digilego. If you opt-in you can opt-out in the same manner.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: As mentioned above, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using Digilego’s services, with the drawback that certain features may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
If you have any questions or otherwise would like to contact us about one of these rights, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask a question or request to exercise one of your rights. We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request – this is solely to protect you, and we will not use any of the information you provide us to confirm your identity for anything other than confirming your identity. In some functions of the Services you may exercise these controls via your account settings in addition to contacting us at the email address above. However, not all of our Services allow you to access, correct, or delete your personal data within your account settings. If applicable, you can make a complaint to the government supervisory authority of your jurisdiction.
Third-Party Websites and Services
Some Services, due to OERs linking to external resources, may include links to third-party websites and services that are not owned or controlled by us, such as GitHub, YouTube, or social media platforms. While digilego members self-moderate the service, some external content provides value that comes at the cost of including third-party websites, services, or content over which Digilego has no control, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party websites or services. If you choose to use any third-party websites or services, the collection, use, and disclosure of your information on those websites will be subject to the privacy policies of these websites and services.
How to Contact Us